The truth is, in this day, if you don’t promote yourself, you probably won’t get promoted…at least not as well as you need to be to make it in the voice acting world. I have been blessed to have had the opportunity to meet some of the best talent in our industry, and to study with the best coaches. The successful ones all promote themselves . Sure, they have great agents and some have great managers, but they don’t leave the promotion to them alone, they work the system themselves as well.
So, dust off that pride. Erase those old tapes of “Not To’s” that are still playing in your head and LEARN how to promote yourself. After all, who wants you to be a success….Really????
Here are just a few strategies that seem to work. I wouldn’t try to do them all at once, but eventually hit them all. Give them a try. Don’t you think you are worth it?
1. Website – Have a website that makes it clear what you do. Then make sure you are picked up by search engines so that people looking for what you have online can find you.
2. Video – Posting online videos of you working can be very effective. People want to buy from people they know – and if they watch you on a video, they feel like they know you.
3. Social Media – Connect with like-minded people and find your fans through Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and a handful of other sites.
4. Newsletters – Build up a list of friends, family and fans and, with their permission, send out a quarterly or monthly newsletter with news of what you’re working on.
5. Business Cards – This is the most simple, cost effective method of self-promotion. Hand your business cards to people you meet, and make sure they know what you do and that you’re available should they need what you have! Never leave home without them.
6. Networking – Get out of your studio and meet people in the flesh! Go to trade shows, networking events and charity events. Some of the best deals we’ve ever made were with people that we’ve met at events. People like to do business with people they know.
7. Teach a Class – Give something of value to your local community, show off your knowledge, and gain a few new customers this way. If you are a webmaster, give a two hour class on SEO or how to set up a website. If you’re an artist, give art classes. Share your expertise, and you’ll become known as the expert in your field.
8. Write an Article – Write an article for your agent’s website that may be interesting to folks in your field……HEY I CAN TAKE THAT OFF MY TO DO LIST NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
There is no way I could end an article about self-promotion without at least inviting you to visit my website: www.cjprater.com ”
The Voice it calls for ….
C. J. Prater
(C.J. Prater is one of our Global Voices and has his own studio facility in Texas, U.S.A.)