One of Australia’s most accomplished, respected and versatile performers, Simon’s career has been in overdrive since the age of 13 when he starred in Fred Schepisi’s acclaimed feature film The Devil’s Playground for which he won the AFI Award for Best Actor. Since then he has enjoyed great success both in Australia and the UK in film, television, stage, concert appearances and cabaret. He’s also being doing voice overs since the late great Jack Kenery from George Patts stood him on a box at the age of 10 to record his first radio commercial!
Some of Simon’s career highlights to date include:
- Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Sound of Music at the London Palladium – Role of Capt. Von Trapp.
- La Cage Aux Folles at the Playhouse Theatre, London, starring as Georges.
- Playing Carl-Magnus opposite Dame Judi Dench in A Little Night Music at the Royal National Theatre.
- Made his West End debut as Raoul in Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty’s Theatre.
- Australian audiences will remember Simon as Marius in the original Australian cast of Les Miserables.
- Countless productions for Sydney Theatre Company.
- Simon’s many television credits include Hustle, Rescue: Special Ops, The Alice, All Saints, Small Claims III, Thank God You’re Here, South Pacific, Brides of Christ, Scales of Justice, Water Rats, Danielle Steele’s The Ring, The One That Got Away, Heroes Mountain, After the Deluge, Grass Roots, Preservation and Postcard Bandit, and he is extremely proud of his 25-year stint as one of the most popular presenters on ABC TV’s Play School.
- Simon is currently starring in Foxtel’s new mini-series Devil’s Playground in which he will reprise the role of Tom Allen that he created as a boy in 1975 in the original film. He is also an executive producer of the project.
The list goes on, including hosting The Helpmann Awards from 2001 to 2006. For a more comprehensive bio please visit Simon’s website at: